Friday, September 15, 2017

Watch Out, Washington!

Hello World!

After a year and a half at the Green Bank Observatory, I have once again started a new chapter of my life. I am now a Science and Technology Policy Fellow with the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)! This is similar to a post-doc in that it is a one to two year non-permanent position for people who have received a PhD (in this case, specifically PhDs in STEM fields). However, this position is completely outside of academia. Instead of working at a university or research institution, I am being hosted at a government agency: the National Science Foundation (NSF) in Alexandria, VA. My fellow Fellows have been placed at a host of government departments and agencies throughout the DC-metro area -- in some cases, even congressional offices!

I have a long-standing interest in politics and policy (see one of my very first blog posts!). And I am trained, in my PhD work, as an astronomer -- a scientist. So this fellowship seemed like a natural fit for me. It is designed to bring more scientists to Washington, and to train them in the workings of policy --  specifically science policy and using science to shape policy. I have now finished my initial two week orientation. I have heard many truly fascinating talks on everything from using science effectively in building policy, to the legislation process, to networking strategies, to the creation of the US Constitution. And for speakers, amongst others, we've heard  a congressman (Bill Foster, Illinois), a federal judge, and an ambassador! So it's been quite a varied two weeks!

I have not yet begun my time at the NSF -- my first day is this Monday. What will I be doing? Well, the short answer is: I don't know yet. I will be working at the Directorate for Computer & Information Science & Engineering (CISE) at the NSF. There are a wide range of projects I could end up working on, so right now, I'm keeping my mind open and my options flexible. I likely won't be working very much on Astronomy-related things, I suspect, but I'm looking forwards to applying my talents to other areas.

If you are a PhD or PhD candidate and would like to try something different, I would highly recommend checking out this program! You need to be a US Citizen and have a PhD in a STEM related field, and you can be in any stage of your career -- I've met both people right out of grad school, and people who are tenured and taking a year's sabbatical!

Whether I go back to academia after my fellowship or if I stay in policy, I am sure I'll be learning a LOT throughout this fellowship and really get a new perspective. It should be interesting to explore something I'm less familiar with and, I hope, make a difference to this country.

No comments:

Post a Comment